Serving Indiana Since 1994

When can parents seek child support modifications?  

On Behalf of | Jan 5, 2022 | Child Custody & Parenting Time

One part of co-parenting after a divorce in Indiana is that often one parent will be ordered to pay the other parent child support. These payments are designed to ensure that both parents are providing for their children’s financial needs after a divorce. One parent may provide the majority of the day-to-day cares for the children, but both parents need to continue to provide for the financial needs.


Child support orders are generally established during the initial divorce and remain in place until the children reach the age of 19 years old in most cases. Sometimes these child support orders are issued when the children are younger and could be in place for many years. During these many years circumstances may change for the parents. One parent may lose a job, become incapable of having a job, receive promotions and pay increases and experience other changes in their financial situation.

Requirements for a child support modification

In some situations, the child support order is no longer appropriate due to these changes. If certain conditions are met a parent may be able to modify the child support order. To do this though certain conditions must be met. First there must be a substantial change in the circumstances not just any change in the circumstances. The changes must result in at a minimum of a 20% change in the current child support amount. That substantial change must be continuous as well, not a short-term change. Parents must also wait at least one year after the last order was issued.

Life for parents in Indiana can be unpredictable. Many different things can change that affect their financial situation. In turn this will affect their ability to pay child support or it may provide them the ability to pay more as well. Parents who experience these changes may be able to modify their current child support order. In order to do this they will need to file a petition the court and request a that a judge modify the child support order. Experienced attorneys understand this process and may be able to guide one through it.