It’s no secret that your marriage hasn’t been working well, but is it no longer working out at all? Is this a temporary situation that you and your spouse will get through, however slowly? Or is it time to find a divorce attorney?
As difficult as this is, you need to take a hard look at your situation and ask yourself the following questions:
- Is what you liked about the marriage unsustainable? If you got caught up in a whirlwind romance, for example, you may find that you were more in love with the feeling of being in love than you were your spouse.
- Are you and your spouse headed the same direction? Mismatched goals, lifestyles and expectations can make for a very unhappy marriage. If you’re currently divided over a “hot” issue, you may want to give things time. If there’s a deep ideological and philosophical guide between you, however, your marriage may be over.
- Do you still care about communicating with your spouse? Communication is key to a successful marriage. If you and your spouse communicate so poorly that it always leads to a fight, that’s bad — but it’s even worse when you just don’t bother to try anymore.
- Have you stopped trusting your spouse? Maybe they’ve got a gambling addiction and have blown through the savings before. Maybe you’ve caught them in some lies. Either way, you just don’t trust them to be true to their word and you’re questioning their integrity. A lack of trust is usually fatal to a marriage.
- Do you prefer to spend your free time alone? If you and your spouse have developed separate interests and you no longer look forward to spending time with them, that’s a sure sign that you’ve already checked out of the marriage emotionally.
If you recognize your situation above, then it’s definitely time to speak to an attorney about the process of divorce in Indiana. The more you know, the better informed your choices will be for the future.